Friday, January 22, 2010

Just the Facts...I think


Today’s post was originally going to be what I thought about the United States Supreme Court ruling on campaign finance. However in my search for correct information I discovered there was already a lot junk out there about what people thought of the decision but very little on the decision itself. (Yeah I’m look at you Fox News.) So here is how it went down.

On January 21, 2010 the U.S. Supreme Court handed down its decision in Citizens United v. FEC. Originally it had been a federal felony punishable by five years in prison for a corporation to use any of its funds to criticize a candidate for federal office within thirty days of a primary election or sixty days of a November general election. They overruled an earlier case and also part of a 2003 case, finding that there was not enough evidence to justify the government censorship of political speech by corporations.

So there it is in a simple manor. I’ve tried to provide you with just the facts and remove as much opinion and legal extras from the story as possible. I’m aware of how hard it can be to get the simple facts of a story without the writer trying to tell you what to think. My thought in the next blog, (I’m in rare form today by the way) but feel free to tell me what you think about the decision or if I was unclear about something let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment