Sunday, April 11, 2010

Net neutrality... This is war.


Net Neutrality is at the top of my list of things I want to talk about. I'm aware that this news is at least a week old and that means it's fading from the collective thoughts of the world but please pay attention for just a seconded more I beg of thee because believe it or not the Government just tried to help you... I know crazy right.

I can only hope if you're reading this you are smarter than the guy on the plane who tried to have this conversation with me. (he was not a genius not even close)He was convinced that the government through its cease-and-desist order against cable giant Comcast was an effort by the government to game control over the internet. Now I'm not going to say that the government doesn't want to control the internet but that is not the issue here.The issue here is that the internet is currently being controlled by large corporations. One of those corporations namely Comcast decided that their users were using to much of their network to download through the use of torrent programs. The solution that Comcast came up with was to cap the speed at which those users were able to download or upload with such programs. This presents a major problem for me. (more than one really) Comcast charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $60.00 a month for a 10mb down /slow ass upload a month connection. Now because I use that connection to the best of my ability Comcast decided to slow that connection. Now the part of the government that controls the law regarding digital communication (The FCC) said "Hey you can't do that stop it". Sadly the newest ruling on this matter according to the federal courts is that the FCC does not have the power to ask them to treat their customers fairly and demand that the speed a customer pays for be what they are receiving at all times no matter the content they choose to view with that connection.

How is battle shapes up will be of quite a bit of interest to me. Personally I would have thought that since they get away with giving the American people some of the slowest internet on the planet (seriously Hungary and Bulgaria kill the us in speed) they would have been happy with that, however it seems like they want to slow the American people down even more the the federal courts just said that is ok. Sooooooo hmmmmm... I hear The republic Korea is nice (fastest internet in the world upload and download. The united states ranks in at 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment